BY SAM ALFAN.
Telecoms giant Safaricom has apologized to court following allegations of sabotaging Garissa terror inquiry.
The telecos was summoned by the court to explain their alleged noncooperation with the prosecutor in the Garissa attack inquiry that took the lives of nearly 150 students.
Appearing before Chief Magistrate Francis Andayi, Safaricom liaison officer Inspector Rabala and superior liaison officer Weldon Siongok said they are willing to co-operate with the prosecution in the matter.
Their lawyer said that they are in agreement with the prosecution that officer Weldon Siongok will appear in court on February 15, 2018 to testify in the matter.
“We have co-operated and assisted the court before and we are also willing to obey in this matter,” said Safaricom.
Safaricom said they had requested for more time so that they can avail a witness who has a technical knowledge.
Defense lawyer Elikana Mokua requested to be granted statements of the Investigation claiming that the Investigating officers has since been changed.
Prosecutor Dancun Ondimu said they had already agreed that Safaricom official will testify in that day.
Yesterday prosecutions accused telecommunications giant Safaricom accused of sabotaging Garissa University terror inquiries.
The Managing Director as a result has been summoned by court tomorrow afternoon to explain the reason behind alleged ”endless failure to cooperate with prosecution.”
Office of the Director of Public Prosecution accused Safaricom of sabotaging a terrorism case where five people are charged over the Garrisa University terror attack that claimed 149 student lives.
Safaricom liaison officer Inspector Rabala and superior liaison officer Weldon Siongok have also been summoned.
Senior DPP Mr Duncan Ondimu told the court that Safaricom has not been cooperative because it had promised to avail an engineer from December last year but in vain.
“My effort to get in touch with general officer Weldon Siongok and Inspector Rabala has also been in vain” said Ondimu.
Prosecution accused Safaricom of treating the criminal matter casually despite of the seriousness of the matter.
Mohamed Ali Abdikar, Hassan Aden Hassan, Sahal Diriye, Osman Abdi and Rashid Charles, a Tanzanian, denied 162 counts of terrorism and have been ordered detained until June 11, when the court will rule on their bail terms.
The prosecution opposed their release on bail, noting that they were suspected Al-Shabaab terrorists and their release may prejudice the trial.